Saturday, September 22, 2007

Nice is a Real Killer

I nearly choked over my double-double this morning when I read Rex Murphy in the Globe, uttering one of those universal truths he is so famous for: "Stéphane Dion gives every evidence of being an honest, intelligent, fair, nice human being. And with that train of four adjectives – all of them pointing to what we acknowledge as most fine in human character – I probably am writing the most savage sentence about a political leader it is possible to compose. Honest, intelligent and fair he might survive. But nice is a real killer."

Pauv' petit pitou!

Lighten up Rex, and all you pack journalists get off Stéphanes back! Sure he's everybody's favourite poli sci professor, and his anglais, pas pire, but jeez don't be so hard on the guy.

I must say I look forward to crossing plastic swords with him and Iggy the House Elf in that seminar room we call the House of Commons. He's really a superb Leader of the Opposition.

And what's wrong with nice anyway? It goes without saying I'm delighted that Puffin Party leaders are more civilized today than they were in the days of that sleazy street fighter Créton. Here he is doing his famous Shawinigan Handshake.