Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I'm Holding My First Real Press Conference Today

In the National Press Theatre - the belly of the beast. I got permission from Sandra, and people like Keith Boog have promised her they'll behave themselves and not rant at me. We've all got to make a living, right?

Actually it's a last minute thing -- Brian recommended we do this during our daily conference call this morning. He told me, "Stephen, you did just fine in New York, and it's time to take off the training wheels and talk to the #$^%@ journalists on their own turf."

Anyway, don't miss it. I'm cancelling prorogation and calling an election.... Woops, can't do that. Actually I'm going to announce something really earth-shattering, and spin my upcoming Speech from the Throne.

Oh and by the way, Gilles and Stéphane are both crossing the floor and joining the Conservative Party of Canada. Fortier engineered the whole thing with some friends from SNC-Lavalife.

What a genius that guy is! I've got to thank Brian for bringing him on board. Hope he gets elected cause he's got a sterling future in politics if he wants it. Might even replace me down the line. I never really wanted this job anyway, but somebody had to do the dirty work and pull the Righteous Right together again.

Jeez things are moving fast around here. It's enough to make the ol' prime ministerial head spin.

Postscript:
Well anyway, I did OK, I was sort of professorial, and the Press behaved themselves, and now we can all enjoy the hockey game. Sens by 1...